[E-voting] press release

Mark Dennehy Mark.Dennehy at cs.tcd.ie
Tue Mar 16 12:18:07 GMT 2004

Ref:[Margaret McGaley, Tue, 16/03/04 @ 11:29 +0000]
> Here's the first draft. As always, comments please:

Just some minor bits...

> ***
> [MINISTER CULLEN REFUSES TO MEET CONCERNED CITIZENS RE EVOTING]
>
> Minister Cullen has refused to meet with representatives of Irish Citizens for
> Trustworthy Evoting (ICTE), citing a heavy schedule. This comes in the wake of
> a recent poll which showed the majority of Irish voters want the introduction
> of electronic voting postponed until the system is modified to include a paper
> trail.
>
> "I'm disappointed that the Minister has refused to meet with me.
Er, "with me?"
"with us", surely?

> He's a busyman, but this is such an important issue.

"We realise his schedule is a busy one, but this issue is
one of the most serious issues in the Minister's purview."

Sounds a wee bit less colloquial to me, at least.

> It would be very serious indeed if
> such a fundamental change to our electoral system was brought in against the
> will of the people", said Margaret McGaley, spokesperson for ICTE.
 Perhaps "introduced" rather than "brought in"?

> In December of 2003, Mr Niall Callan, the Secretary General of the Department
> of the Environment, committed to "continue dialogue" with those interested in
> gaining a assurances about the system. In fact, no such dialogue has been
> entered into.

Maybe a line here saying that the ICTE calls on Cullen to
bring in said dialogue?

> ICTE are currently preparing a submission for the Commission on Electronic
> Voting.

Nice touch :)

--
Mark Dennehy,
Computer Vision and Robotics Research Group,
email:	Mark.Dennehy at cs.tcd.ie
www:	http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Mark.Dennehy