[E-voting] US info

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Tue Mar 16 13:36:04 GMT 2004

Aengus Lawlor wrote:
> Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
>
>>I wonder if anyone has collated info on VVAT decisions and proposals
>>in US states?
>>Am I right in thinking California has decided to implement VVAT
>>at some point in the future?
>>And there is the New York proposal from the 2 Democrat senators.
>>It struck me that it might be appropriate to send info of this kind
>>to the commission.
>

> There's some information here:
> http://www.verifiedvoting.org/states.asp

One interesting 1-page doc mentioned on that site is the following:
http://www.ss.ca.gov/executive/press_releases/2004/04_011.pdf

It is the Feb-2004 press release from the Calif. State Govt. which:

- notes that Diebold installed untested software on
   some of their voting machines in four different counties

- says last year California directed that all
   machines have a paper VVAT capability

- and says that while such capability is being developed
   a number of interim measures are required including
   state testing of (randomly selected) voting machines in each county