[E-voting] Re: URL stripping

John Lambe icte-jlambe at johnlambe.com
Tue Mar 16 14:14:00 GMT 2004

>It would be quite cool if we had some kind of script or something that
>went through the list archives once a week and made a links page of
all >the URLs cited.

I was going to write a web crawler which finds links anyway (for the
purpose of verifying them and automatically notifying a webmaster of
broken links).
I don't know when I'll get time to do it - maybe the week after next.
What you're suggesting would be just a slight extension of this.
It could run automatically as a servlet from my web site.

It won't necessarily be able to extract the correct peice of text
describing the link. We could decide on a convention for writing links
and their titles in future.
I suppose the ideal would be to retreive the referenced page and get
its title, but that would only work for HTML pages.

=====
John Lambe
Phone (mobile): +353 86 2895286
Phone:          +353 1 4905842
Address:        64 Brighton Road, Rathgar, Dublin 6, Ireland
Email:          jlambe at johnlambe.com