[E-voting] Not random enough?

Adrian Colley aecolley at spamcop.net
Tue Mar 16 15:38:17 GMT 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 11:56:04AM +0000, Cian wrote:
> By identifying the placement of the first couple of votes, can we infer
> anything about the state of the PRNG at that time (and hence at all times
> thereafter)?

Since the PRNG is continually reseeded by the system time (a 125Hz
clock), then probably not.

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 12:33:25PM +0000, Stuart McBride wrote:
> Surely if the memory is limited and has a physical start and
> end ... and if you're placing votes randomly at either the
> start or end of the existing block ... then you're going to
> hit the start or end of the memory at some point.

I suppose they could be doing a (mod N) calculation to wrap around.  The
reports don't mention it, though.  In fact, I'm not sure they say what
happens when the memory fills up completely.

 --Adrian.

--
GPG 0x43D3AD19 17D2 CA6E A18E 1177 A361  C14C 29DB BA4B 43D3 AD19
http://user-aecolley.jini.org/