[E-voting] press release

Margaret McGaley Margaret.McGaley at redbrick.dcu.ie
Tue Mar 16 16:22:01 GMT 2004

Latest draft:
(suggestions for a title welcome)

***
[MINISTER CULLEN REFUSES TO MEET CONCERNED CITIZENS RE EVOTING]

The Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, Martin Cullen
TD, has refused to meet with representatives of Irish Citizens for Trustworthy
Evoting (ICTE), citing a heavy schedule. This comes in the wake of a recent
Sunday Business Post/Red C poll which showed the majority of Irish voters want
the introduction of electronic voting postponed until the system is modified
include a paper trail.

"I'm disappointed that the Minister has refused to meet with us. We realise
that the Minister's schedule is very full, but this issue is of critical
importance to Irish democracy and it should be at the top of the Minister's
list of priorities. It would be very serious indeed if such a fundamental
change to our electoral system was introduced against the will of the people",
said Margaret McGaley, spokesperson for ICTE.

In December of 2003 [1], Mr Niall Callan, the Secretary General of the
Department of the Environment, committed to "continue dialogue" with those
interested in gaining assurances about the system. In fact, no such dialogue
has been entered into despite continued efforts by ICTE and others to initiate
one. "Mr Joe McCarthy, who submitted a list of detailed questions to the
department, was told that they were willing to engage with him on this topic.
His repeated attempts to engage with the department have so far been
unsuccessful" said Ms McGaley.

ICTE is currently preparing a submission for the Commission on Electronic
Voting.
***
--
Margaret McGaley