[E-voting] Irish situation get european attention.

David GLAUDE dglaude at gmx.net
Tue Mar 16 18:31:40 GMT 2004

All of those association fight somehow on a responsible and carefull
Information Technology policy. They care about "Human right" in
Cyberspace. Any abuse of the technology (Big Brother, Biometrics, RFID,
DRM, ...) or abuse of the law (EUCD, expension of the patent system in
the software field, copyright holder super power, ...) to restrict
freedom of speach, freedom of writing code, ... is important to them.

When IT peaple do politics, and talk about the things they know, they
care about, they soon or later get to thing about all of those issue,
including electronic voting.

We have networks in place, contact at many levels on many topics that
make all of those connected. They don't have all the time to fight every
fight, but they can be ready to sign a common position, spread the news, ...

It as been done not long ago for the IP right enforcement directive (we
lost), it was done before for software patent (we won the first battle
in European Parliament) and before on SPAM (with a successfull directive
that say "Opt-In") and on EUCD (we lost but are still fighting on the
implementation of that directive in member state law).

The eVoting issue is not at the European level yet. However the
Commission is and has been founding many "e-" things, including eVoting
studdy and trial. Now they care about eDemocracy and eParticipation
because of a Council decision.

Even in the European Parliament is not involved in the voting rules,
they can control how Member of the European Parliament are elected (like
it must be with a proportionnal system [I think STV is considered as a
proportionnal system]) by way of Directive. So they could be able to
specify that European Election must be VVAT or something like that. This
require intensive lobbying, fighting against country that have a veto in
the Council and are already using eVoting... But it is possible (not
this year but in 5 years).

Now is not the time for you Irish to fight at that level, since you are
in the middle of a battle... but after the European Election, I hope
some of you will continue and maybe try raise this issue at an other layer.

David GLAUDE

--
Don't let computer expert control election...
Endorse: http://www.free-project.org/resolution/