[E-voting] Re: Submission - minor corrections and suggestions

Adrian Colley aecolley at spamcop.net
Wed Mar 17 14:41:59 GMT 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 06:05:39AM -0800, John Lambe wrote:
> Section 2 (Page 3):
> "By ?voter verification? we mean the process by which each voter
> personally ensures (whether by act or omission) that the vote recorded
> on his/her behalf is identical to the vote actually cast."
> This implies that the ensuring is done by act or omission.
> Should it mean:
> "... ensures that the vote recorded on his/her behalf is not different
> (whether due to an act or omission) to the vote actually cast."
> (or "... ensures that there is no discrepancy between the vote recorded
> on his/her behalf and the vote actually cast (whether caused by an act
> or omission).")
> I agree that the positive form might be more readable.

No, the "act or omission" definitely refers to the voter's verification
process, not to the difference between cast and recorded vote.  This is
to avoid ruling out the present paper system where voter verification
happens without a separate action: you verify your vote by not returning
it to the presiding officer as an accidental spoil.  Have a go at
rewording the paragraph if it isn't sufficiently clear.

> Section 2.2:
>
> "For instance, the present Australian (paper) ballot system
> incorporates a voter verified audit trail..."
> Why not point out that *our* paper system does?

I was... we use the Australian ballot, which is another way of saying
that we write our votes on paper sheets and drop them into a sealed
ballot box.  It's obviously confusing and should be reworded to
substitute "paper" for "Australian (paper)".

 --Adrian.

--
GPG 0x43D3AD19 17D2 CA6E A18E 1177 A361  C14C 29DB BA4B 43D3 AD19
http://user-aecolley.jini.org/