[E-voting] CEV submission

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Thu Mar 18 09:28:01 GMT 2004

Section 1.1 "Protecting Democracy" should also include mention of
inadvertent hardware/software failures (not focus exclusively on
tampering).  A sentence stating that such inadvertent errors have already
occurred both in Ireland and abroad could also be considered here.

[It's important to make it clear _from the very beginning_ that our case
for VVAT is not based only on the potential for malicious tampering.  This
is mentioned in 2.1 but it should be mentioned explicitly in 1.1 as
well.  Otherwise this paragraph on could be lifted and quoted, and give the
impression this is the exclusive reason for our concern hence we are all
conspiracy-theory wackos.  "Protecting Democracy" is not just about
protecting from malicious tampering, it's about ensuring that every voter's
ballot is registered & counted accurately.]