[E-voting] "Frog" voting system

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Thu Mar 18 20:55:55 GMT 2004

Derek Bell wrote:

> A system by Dr. Ronald Rivest, Dr. Shuki Bruck of the California
> Institute of Technology and Dr. David Jefferson of Lawrence Livermore
> National Laboratory is mentioned from paragraph 12 onwards in
> http://cryptome.org/vote-code.htm
>
> Now I'm no hardware wizard, but the obvious problem to me is that the
> first machine isn't secured and could be tampered with. After all,
> that's the machine that the decisions are input into the "frog".

I think the first machine doesn't have to be secure because you confirm
your vote
at the second one, and if something is wrong you would go back to the
first machine
to re-enter it.

It seems as if the idea is basically a front-end to David Chaums system
(or the similar Neff system)

Maintaining secrecy could be an issue with this. Presumably, there is
no attempt to hide your voting selections at the first machine (because you
could change them later), but it looks a bit dodgy to me. I'd like to read a
first-hand description of the system though.

Also, I wonder are the "frogs" re-usable. It would be pretty expensive
to run
if not.

Michael.