[E-voting] Abstention - an accuracy issue?

Casey, Dermot (GE Consumer Finance) Dermot.Casey at ge.com
Fri Mar 19 10:31:59 GMT 2004

While on the subject of abstention....

If you want to abstain then don't bother going to the polling station.

<begin short rant>
We live in a participative democracy and its your responsibility you participate. You have no right to spoil your vote. Grow up, get over yourself, either fix the system or stop complaining about it. There is plenty of choice in the political system. And if yoiu still can't find someone to vote for, run yourself. The election of single issue candidates illustrates both the strengths and weaknesses of Irish democracy.
At the very least vote of the least offensive candidate as a way of preventing the election of the most offensive candidate.

I have so little time for the "None of the Above" brigade. It distracts from the real issue here, the openness and accurracy of the electoral process, the cornerstone of our democracy. And this is a democracy. Ours. People once considered it worth their while to die for the right to an Irish State. And now between 30 and 50% of people won't vote at various elections.

I think people should be forced to vote. And if you don't or won't particpate you lose the option to vote. You have the right to vote, you have the responsibilty to exercise that right and delibrately screwing that up is the juvenile act of thoughtless people.
<end short rant>

Regards

Dermot