[E-voting] Scotland looks at E-voting

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Fri Mar 19 15:45:56 GMT 2004

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 03:34:12PM +0000, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

> ... but decided that you need paper votes:
>
> 	http://news.scotsman.com/politics.cfm?id=318342004
>
> Intresting statement:
>
> 	"The committee said technology was not yet far enough advanced to
> 	replace ballot papers with a secure system of electronic votes"
>
> I wonder if the committee minutes and so are online, might be some good
> usable quotes.

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/lg/reports/lgr04-02-vol01-02.htm#2

"229.The Committee considers that e-counting offers a number of
significant advantages over conventional counting methods, such as the
potential to increase the speed and accuracy of the counting and
transferring of votes. The Committee therefore welcomes the Minister's
commitment to consider e-counting following the passage of the Bill. The
Committee considers that if the technology relating to e-counting can be
proven to be reliable, robust and accurate, the Scottish Executive
should take measures to ensure that is place in time for the next local
government election.

230.The Committee notes that the technology relating to e-voting is less
advanced, and so the introduction of e-voting is likely only to be a
longer term possibility. There appear to be a number of challenges to
overcome before e-voting could be introduced, not least that of ensuring
confidence in a system which will dispense with actual ballot papers."

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net