[E-voting] Source Code

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Fri Mar 19 23:06:21 GMT 2004

On Friday 19 March 2004 18:14, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 06:10:13PM +0000, Fergal Daly wrote:
> > Of course this assumes the black hats can't get a copy of the closed
source
> > and harware to run it. However this will be true for almost all black
hats.

> What about the counting software? It would be relatively trivial to
> obtain a copy of that.

Perhaps but they won't be interacting with the live copy so even if they find
a hole, it's useless.

I'm not suggesting that it anything should be closed source, I'm just pointing
out that the level of obscurity here is far higher than normal and so
security through obscurity is much more secure than it normally is - of
course 100 times not much is still not much.

Also the open source security model is considerably weaker than it normally
would be. Black hats are frequently ahead of the white hats and that's not
usually a big problem but here it could be.

In fact I think neither type security is good enough in this situation,