[E-voting] Source Code

David GLAUDE dglaude at gmx.net
Sat Mar 20 11:46:54 GMT 2004

Aengus Lawlor wrote:

> At which point, your philosophical preference for a particular licensing
> scheme for the software becomes irrelevant. Once you acknowledge that
> VVAT is necessary because it provides an independent mechanism for
> verifying the result of an election, the argument about whether "open
> source" or "free software" is any more or less trustworthy than
> "commercial software" becomes utterly irrelevant to the issue at hand,
> because VVAT negates the ability of whoever controls the balloting
> software to subvert the process.

Please replace "commercial software" by "proprietary software".
Free Software can be commercial without problem.

The point is that anything done by the state must be transparent for the
citizen. When the administration was working with paper, pen and
procedure this was obvious. Now that hiden processing is done inside
computer, every software run by the state should be Free Software.
Election software is not different from other.

Free Software (and open format) is also require garantee protection of
privacy and capacity to access document 100 years later.

> And yes, I do understand what "Free Software" means.

Sure you don't. ;-)

David GLAUDE

--
Don't let computer expert control election...
Endorse: http://www.free-project.org/resolution/