[E-voting] Source Code

Mark Dennehy Mark.Dennehy at cs.tcd.ie
Sat Mar 20 13:19:07 GMT 2004

Ref:[Aengus, Sat, 20/03/04 @ 13:07 -0000]
> The point is that "hidden processing" done in a computer is no more
> transparent for the average citizen when the software is "free software"
> than when it is closed source.

The fact of the matter is that there is a practical limit to
how open the process can be. Ballot boxes are not made from
transparent perspex. The entire population can't ride along
in the car with the gardai as they take to box to storage.
The entire population can't sit with the box overnight. And
it's rare that the entire population can watch the count
given physical space limits in the building. So the system
already discriminates against the majority. But they don't
care much because the system *is* watched by quite a few
people already and it's as transparent as is practical.

Making the source code for the eVoting system available to
the public domain is practical - in fact, it's already been
done by the Australian eVACS voting system. It also means
that we have the source code should Nedap go belly-up
tomorrow.

So basicly, we're asking for something that has been done
before, is eminently practical and has the added bonus that
we won't have to turn around and shell out another 40 million
euro or more when/if Nedap go out of business.

So what's the problem?

--
Mark Dennehy,
Computer Vision and Robotics Research Group,
email:	Mark.Dennehy at cs.tcd.ie
www:	http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Mark.Dennehy