[E-voting] Source Code

David GLAUDE dglaude at gmx.net
Sat Mar 20 21:58:31 GMT 2004

Mark Dennehy wrote:

> Ref:[Aengus, Sat, 20/03/04 @ 13:07 -0000]
>
>>The point is that "hidden processing" done in a computer is no more
>>transparent for the average citizen when the software is "free software"
>>than when it is closed source.

The average citizen could hire a professional to read the code... this
is not possible with closed source.

> The fact of the matter is that there is a practical limit to
> how open the process can be. Ballot boxes are not made from
> transparent perspex. The entire population can't ride along
> in the car with the gardai as they take to box to storage.
> The entire population can't sit with the box overnight. And
> it's rare that the entire population can watch the count
> given physical space limits in the building. So the system
> already discriminates against the majority. But they don't
> care much because the system *is* watched by quite a few
> people already and it's as transparent as is practical.

They don't care much because those important thing like counting,
watching the ballot box, checking who come to vote, making sure you are
alone when voting, ... is done by other citizens "randomly choosen",
never alone and under the eyes of partisan whitness.

Every power is in the hand of the citizen, the vote and controle the
election themself, colectively.

The whole point against eVoting, expert monitoring the election, eVoting
vendor providing the closed source software, ... is that it is not
average citizen doing the job. From a democracy we migrate to a technocracy.

Now also, the number of peaple that need to get together to completely
choose the result of the election is much smaller.

David GLAUDE

--
Don't let computer expert control election...
Endorse: http://www.free-project.org/resolution/