[E-voting] Abstention - an accuracy issue?

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Sun Mar 21 15:43:08 GMT 2004

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:18:29PM +0000, Owen Connolly wrote:
> Fergal Daly wrote:
>
> >Would it be possible for a seat to be won by NOTA? Would that then cause a
> >rerun of the election. Rerunning the NOTA seat on it's own is no good
> >because it will almost certainly go to the most popular party (which is
> >almost certaibly not what the NOTA voters would have wanted) so you'd need
> >to rerun the entire constituency, which leads to lots of other problems.
> >
> Actually, in a *true* democracy, it would mean that all of the
> candidates from all of the partys would have to be withdrawn and new
> candidates fielded (A firing squad for the disgraced candidates is
> optional!! ;-).  Of course this would be a problem here, because of our
> PR system.  NOTA could win *a* seat in a constituency, but not all of
> them as it  would be seen as just  one  candidate...   Unless you filled
> out  pref.s1,2,3  as  NOTA ... would that work?

I thought that was what i said :-)

Abstention is well defined for PR and non PR but NOTA is only well definied
for first past the post (open to correction as I know nothing about this!)

Being allowed vote NOTA multiple times doesn't make sense to me. It gives
people voting NOTA more than one vote.

I think the only vaguely reasonable solutions are to leave the seat(s)
unoccupied in the Dail (maybe voting against govt) or to rerun the whole
constituency with all the old candidates elimintaed, apart from those that
actually won a seat. This still leaves the problem of some guy winning on
the first round and not making it on the second and other interesting
scenarios.

Neither of these will ever happen,