[E-voting] NOTA

Mark Dennehy Mark.Dennehy at cs.tcd.ie
Sun Mar 21 18:48:51 GMT 2004

Ref:[John Bernard Lambe, Sun, 21/03/04 @ 10:43 -0800]
> In PR-STV, NOTA could be an option just like another candidate.
> Then if someone considered only two of the candidates to be better than
> none, he/she would give NOTA his/her thrid perference, and could fill
> in subsequent preferences in case NOTA got eliminated.
> The if NOTA was elected, a new election could be held for its seat and
> any seats not filled on the count in which NOTA was elected (if NOTA
> and another candidate were elected on the same count, the other
> candidate's election would be valid only if he/she had more votes than
> NOTA on that count).

That does strike me as being somewhat complicated, but then,
that's one of the advantages of eVoting, isn't it? The actual
counting algorithim is largely negligible in terms of the
time it takes to collate the results.

> In fact, since the original set of candidates are the best that the
> parties could find (in their opinion or that of their members), it
> would seem likely that the replacement candidates would be worse. The
> natural choices would be the candidates who lost their party's
> selection.

That does rather assume that political parties select their
nominees in a meritocratic manner. Which, in this country at
least, seems to be far from the case.
--
Mark Dennehy,
Computer Vision and Robotics Research Group,
email:	Mark.Dennehy at cs.tcd.ie
www:	http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Mark.Dennehy