[E-voting] Source Code

Mark Dennehy Mark.Dennehy at cs.tcd.ie
Sun Mar 21 22:38:03 GMT 2004

Ref:[Fergal Daly, Sun, 21/03/04 @ 22:26 +0000]
> I don't buy this argument. Compare an open source VVAT solution and a closed
> source VVAT solution. What attack is the closed one vulnerable to that the
> open one is not? Or more extremely, assume the closed source one has been
> hacked and is under control of the bad guys, how can they influence the
> result?

The first one that springs to mind is transfers. Currently,
the system transfers votes using a random number generator to
simulate the random drawing of votes from the excess of an
elected candidate. Those transfer votes are highly important,
as we all know. However, if noone can see what you're doing,
you could tailor the selection of transfer votes to give the
best chance to a selected candidate. It's subtle, and may not
allow outright determination of the elected candidates, but
it's also undetectable because the VVAT will show that the
result is plausible.

--
Mark Dennehy,
Computer Vision and Robotics Research Group,
email:	Mark.Dennehy at cs.tcd.ie
www:	http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Mark.Dennehy