[E-voting] Source Code

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Sun Mar 21 23:07:36 GMT 2004

On Sunday 21 March 2004 22:38, Mark Dennehy wrote:
> The first one that springs to mind is transfers. Currently,
> the system transfers votes using a random number generator to
> simulate the random drawing of votes from the excess of an
> elected candidate. Those transfer votes are highly important,
> as we all know. However, if noone can see what you're doing,
> you could tailor the selection of transfer votes to give the
> best chance to a selected candidate. It's subtle, and may not
> allow outright determination of the elected candidates, but
> it's also undetectable because the VVAT will show that the
> result is plausible.

This is the only part of a VVAT system where the computer is actually in
control. Having the computer in control at any stage is bad, open or closed
source, as there's no guarantee that what is happening in the computer is
what you've been told is happening.

No one is arguing against OS, I think we'd all like it to be OS but I don't
believe it makes any real difference to the security or transparency of a
VVAT proper election. It may have a small influence on the reliability of the
machines and so it may eleiminate some election day hiccups.

We get very limited publicity and I think we should concentrate the little
time we get on VVAT. It makes open/closed irrelevant and as Aengus said, if
we ask for VVAT and OS we can get a "compromise" of OS and then where are we?