[E-voting] car engines and open source

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Mon Mar 22 20:51:45 GMT 2004

While open source code could not be evaluated independently by most voters,
I agree that there are genuine advantages to having e-voting code available
for scrutiny by others.  How is that any different from the engine of my
car?  I don't understand how it works, and I don't know many "average"
people who'd have the training, experience or equipment needed to assess
it.  And similarly, it's possible that several experts might assess my car
engine and come up with different opinions about it.  That being said, the
fact that it is openly available for scrutiny by others is quite important
to me.

Now that I've had my 0.02 worth I can go along with everyone else who
suggested dropping this subject so we can focus on VVAT. :-)