[E-voting] Source Code

Éibhear evoting at gibiris.org
Mon Mar 22 21:00:32 GMT 2004

Fergal Daly wrote:
>>And here is where I believe there is a problem with the argument. I *am*
>>an average voter, who also is technically qualified -- through training
>>and experience -- to examine the source code of an electronic voting
>>system.
>

> So in what sense are you are actually an average voter? If you are average
> plus something else that the vast majority of voter don't have then you are
> definitely not average.

I am an average voter by virtue of the fact that I vote. My brother is a
voter with legal expertise, and my Father is a voter with security
(military) expertise. Everyone, with their own skills and talents, are
still average voters if they vote. If their skills or knowledge allow
them to better analyse their environment, then others would defer to
them when they're curious or concerned. That I have experience in the IT
sector most certainly doesn't make me an above-average, or below-average
voter, whatever they could be.

In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that anyone who puts them
forward as anything other than an average voter has little respect for
their fellow citizens.

How do you calculate average when your qualifying a voter?

> Their belief will almost certainly be false. There is noone who can really
> understand the source code, they may understand pieces, they may even have
> understood every piece at one time or another but there is no one who can
> understand it well enough that anyone should take their word for it's
> correctness.

That's an astounding assertion. What happens if some one comes along and
proves you wrong? Would you hold that line with respect to Nedap's or
Powervote's understanding of their own source code? Why bother getting
the code from these companies at all?

Oh, and how do you keep separate those people who understand the various
parts and prevent them from pooling their comprehension into a report?

Wow.

Éibhear