[E-voting] Abstention - an accuracy issue?

Karen Devine kadevine at tcd.ie
Wed Mar 24 00:16:01 GMT 2004

>This was obviously written by someone who doesn't understand how PR works -
I wrote it and I do understand how PR-STV works.  I think you may have
misinterpreted the text (Mark, thanks for helping to clarify that in my
absence) and I am happy to re-write the text in clearer terms, given the
likelihood of misinterpretation.
>NOTA simply doesn't work with PR-STV.
I respectfully disagree and will be posting suggestions of ways in which the
NOTA option can be implemented under PR-STV on the website when I've finished
writing the submission.  The question is how to implement nota in the most
'democratic' manner, and that is proving a headache to figure out. A debate
and your opinions and constructive criticisms would be most welcome (but
please note final (final) comment below)!
For the record, I believe the option should not be implemented in such a way
that it effectively does away with the proportionality of the PR-STV system
(and I realise this should have been made clearer in the website text),
therefore nota can only have electoral effect when it beats *all candidates*
i.e. the totality of the seats.  The entire constituency's seats would have to
be re-contested, not just one or two seats.  Also I don't believe the nota
option could function as a 'candidate' per se, it could not be used as a third
or fourth preference, for example, it could only realistically operate as an
expression that *none* of the candidates should be the voter's political
representatives, blunt instrument that it is.
I don't think it's worthwhile getting caught up in debating fairly wild
theoretical scenarios either; it's extremely unlikely nota would beat all
candidates in an Irish constituency and I think the political system would
have collapsed long before the extreme, theoretically-possible situation could
occur - in which nota beat all candidates in every constituency.
There's no doubt it is harder to implement the option under PR-STV than
FPP/single-seat constituencies, but it's not impossible.  Regardless, it can
easily be provided as a non-binding option on the ballot.
Finally, the same people have stated many times their disagreement with the
provision of the nota option and I am again happy to acknowledge their
opinion.
Given Colm's and Tim's comments, it's also worth mentioning that I have always
suggested the nota/abstain issues should be dealt with off this list in
recognition of the fact that these issues are not relevant to ICTE's goals,
and on this occasion I have taken the opportunity to respond to the criticisms
made of the noneoftheabove.ie website because they were made on this list.
All the best,
Karen

Karen Devine,
PhD Candidate,