[E-voting] Submission nears final draft

Adrian Colley aecolley at spamcop.net
Wed Mar 24 21:00:34 GMT 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 08:12:07PM +0000, P at draigBrady.com wrote:
> remove spurious trailing "and" in 2nd point 2 in section 2 (accuracy)

If that's the one I think you're identifying, then it isn't spurious.
It belongs to the general idiom of lists, e.g.:

1. Foo;
2. Bar; and
3. Baz.

However, I'm happy to see it go if it's ugly, which I accept it may be.

> s/time out of mind//

No; first of all, deleting the phrase completely changed the meaning of
it from "VVAT has been used since before anyone can remember" to "VVAT
has been used since Rebecca Mercuri's paper in 1992".  Second, the
phrase "since time out of mind" is taken from Blackstone's Commentaries
on the Laws of England, where it's used to justify all kinds of common
law rules.  (I'm fond of legal phrases.)  I like the phrase, but of
course it can be reworded if it's nonobvious.

> s/to even expert programmers/even to export programmers/

Export programmers have twice the alcohol level of domestic programmers,
you see.

> s/All hardware is vulnerable to programming error/
>   All computer hardware is vulnerable to external forces/

Whoops!  My bad.  But I suggest "All computer hardware is vulnerable to
malfunction", which is closer to what the sub-subsection is about.

 --Adrian.

--
GPG 0x43D3AD19 17D2 CA6E A18E 1177 A361  C14C 29DB BA4B 43D3 AD19
http://user-aecolley.jini.org/