[E-voting] Joe McCarthy's submission to the CEV

Adrian Colley aecolley at spamcop.net
Fri Mar 26 19:02:12 GMT 2004

On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 01:05:15PM +0000, I wrote:
> I've posted (with permission) Joe's submission on
> http://www.iol.ie/~aecolley/icte/Joe-CEV.doc

And it has quite a few new wrinkles that this reader at least hadn't
noticed before:

 + Several PTB report results were changed to OK between June 2003 and
   September 2003, without anything changing to justify a different
   result.

 + The Dutch modules which Nathean skimmed instead of examining in
   detail included Memory_Prog and Memory_Read, which handle I/O and a
   bizarre link protocol with the ballot modules.  It's clearly
   important enough to justify a careful review, but hasn't had one.

 + Through FoI requsts, Joe has learned that although the Department is
   constantly receiving new software updates from Groenendaal, they
   admit to having no regression-test plan or process whatsoever.

 + Zerflow identified the need for an audit trail in talks with the
   Department in March 2002.  Several of their concerns have not been
   addressed despite Cullen's statements to the contrary.

 + Under some failure modes of the voting machine, the ballot will be
   recorded but not included in the count of votes recorded on the
   machine.  In this case the voter will get a free extra vote!
   The lucky error codes are:

> 	5104 5108 5112 5116 5118
> 	5120 5122 5124 5126 5128
> 	5129 5131 5132 5133 5139

 + The German machine has two buttons (Korrekter and Ungultig) in the
   space occupied by the ESI2's Change Language button.  Ungultig casts
   a void vote.  We could have that, but for some reason we don't.

 --Adrian.

--
GPG 0x43D3AD19 17D2 CA6E A18E 1177 A361  C14C 29DB BA4B 43D3 AD19
http://user-aecolley.jini.org/