[E-voting] Commission on Electronic Voting receives over 150 public submissions

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Wed Mar 31 13:37:45 IST 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 12:54:11PM +0100, Catherine Ansbro wrote:

> >Submissions will not be published electronically though,
> >so I might just request them all - and scan labouriously.
>
> I am amazed that they are available for public scrutiny but they will not
> be published electronically.  They are really trying to obstruct public
> access to this information.  It makes me wonder what they have to hide.
> Could we publish the submissions on the ICTE website?

To be honest I think it's just a workload problem, I've spoken to the
staff again, who are going out of their way to be helpful, I've
requested a copy of all submissions and it's no problem. They're still
all being compiled, but should be ready some time tomorrow, if they are
I'll go in and collect, if not Friday at 2pm is still on.

We can publish the submissions on the ICTE website, if anyone wants to
volunteer for helping me scan them - feel free. I suspect in some cases
obtaining electronic copies from the authors will be feasible anyway.

> Also, maybe this could be a short, sweet press release.  (E.g., # of
> submissions, open to public scrutiny, but info will not be published on the
> CEV website.  Surprising for a government that wants to use e-technology
> appropriately.  ICTE intends to publish all the submissions on its website
> so that public & journalists across the country can have easy access.  This
> is a democratic use of e-technology.)

Well, the CEV is independent of the Government. Personally I don't think
it's a good idea, all of my dealing with them have been more than fair
and seem above board. I think it's just a resources problem rather than
anything malicious. I don't think there is much sense in giving the
Commission itself any grief, only the Government/Department/Minister are
truly deserving of that.

> Then, once our valiant team has scanned the submissions, have another press
> release synopsizing # of documents in favour, # opposed, and some comments
> about the issues for desiring or opposing.

Indeed :) Scanning shouldnt take *too* long, from talking to the staff
I think we have most of the long ones electronically anyway.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net