[E-voting] PDs Reject eVoting

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Mon Apr 11 09:18:58 GMT 2005

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 10:10:48AM +0100, Keith Martin wrote:
> And there was me thinking the PDs were in Government...I must be mistaken about
> that whole "collective accountability" thing, because eVoting was foisted on
> them without their consent too ;-)

Here's a transcript of a letter I got from Michael McDowell's office
last year;

"Dear Colm,

Thank you for your recent correspondence to Minister Michael McDowell
T.D. and the appended paper by Adrian Colley. The Minister has read your
letter and noted the points which you have made so cogently. Due to
pressure of work the Minister has asked me to respond to your letter.

You mentioned Article 6 of the contitution in your letter. Under the
constitution we also have a system of cabinet government in this
country. One of the consequences of that is that the system of
collective cabinet respondibility applies. Accordingly however much
sumpathy the Minister have privately for your position, his public
position is to support fully the course of action decided by the
Government."

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net