[E-voting] rethinking how to reference the US experience

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Thu Apr 14 21:59:16 GMT 2005

I think it's a mistake not to mention the US experience at all.  I think
this policy should be revised as a matter of urgency.

Yes, the electoral systems are very different and each State has a
different situation.  And yes the technology differs in some ways from
the proposed Irish system.  All these things can be stated.  But there
are many areas of similar vulnerability, and I think it is wrong not to
mention them, particularly when one can point to the USA as an example
of some of the aftermath of poorly-designed, poorly-tested, unauditable
electronic machines.  It would be good if we can point to problems that
have occurred in other countries, as well.  (E.g., the hardware problems
in Belgium that caused 4096 extra votes.)  Not to mention the problems
in the Irish pilots: undervotes, overvotes and machine malfunctions.
There is no reason *not* to mention that similar problems in the USA are
causing a growing number of States to write legislation requiring an
auditable paper ballot (now up to 22 States), as the result of voter
concerns.

Surely this should be mentioned--it is a significant new development in
the e-voting story and is directly related to Ireland.

I don't think other election reform issues should be mentioned, only the
ones where we face the same issues.