[E-voting] rethinking how to reference the US experience

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Thu Apr 14 22:05:06 GMT 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:59:16PM +0100, Catherine Ansbro wrote:
> Yes, the electoral systems are very different and each State has a
> different situation.  And yes the technology differs in some ways from
> the proposed Irish system.  All these things can be stated.  But there
> are many areas of similar vulnerability, and I think it is wrong not to
> mention them, particularly when one can point to the USA as an example
> of some of the aftermath of poorly-designed, poorly-tested, unauditable
> electronic machines.

Time and time again the argument the government make is that Evoting
concerns here are merely being imported from the US, but that the
systems differ and the concern is unwarranted. It would be playing right
into their hands to lend credance to this :/

By focusing on the Irish system, and sticking to the facts of that
system I think it gives us an enormous ammount of credibility we might
not otherwise have.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net