[E-voting] rethinking how to reference the US experience

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Sat Apr 16 19:19:24 GMT 2005

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 11:52:02AM -0700, Justin Mason wrote:
> Timothy Murphy writes:
> > On Fri 15 Apr 2005 22:00, jm at jmason.org wrote:
> > > Keeping up with (real) news is actually quite hard work over here....
> >
> > Why not read the NY Times online, like everyone else?
>
> yep, that's pretty much what you have to do -- or the Christian
> Science Monitor is fantastic.  But the easiest way out is just
> to read the Guardian and BBC News instead ;)
>
> However, I doubt most of the US voting population tends to
> get their news via the web.  We techies are a minority in that
> respect.

I was in the states for a while recently and I watched Fox News every now
(the same way you can't help looking at a car crash) but what really shocked
me most was CNN. My experience of CNN has been it's respectable
international news channel which you get in hotels around the world but the
version on my TV in California was alarmingly close to Fox, not in it's
blatant bias but in, for example, it's panic and fear mongering specials on
bioterrorism or how easily a terrorist could high-jack a bus full school
kids and drive it full speed into an epxloding razorblade factory etc etc,