[Fwd: Re: [E-voting] "Black box" irregularities in the House of Representatives?]

Fergal Daly fergald at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 10:33:13 IST 2005

First off, the original story was not an election it was a vote in the
House of Representatives so running it again would probably have
produced the same answer (assuming votes are counted correctly) but
apart form that I know of no system that works like you suggest.
There's usually some tie-breaker, for example a person who only votes
in the case of a tie. In the Irish parliament, that's the Ceann
Comhairle in the UK I think it's the Speaker of the House and they're
both expected to vote with the goverment. Elections in Ireland have
frequently been won by a handful of votes or even just 1 vote. I have
a feeling the returning officer only votes if there's a tie but I'm
not sure.

I don't think you'll find a single public political system where
something can't win by just a single vote,