[E-voting] "Black box" irregularities in the House of Representatives?

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Aug 1 13:05:28 IST 2005

On Mon 01 Aug 2005 02:24, Fergal Daly wrote:

> > I realise this is not a very popular view on this list,
> > but if an issue is that closely balanced,
> > I don't think it matters too much if it goes the wrong way.
>
> 215 vs 217
>
> Kerry vs Bush was 50.7 vs 48.2. another closely balanced issue that
> didn't much matter?

You misunderstood my meaning.
If a country is that closely divided on an issue,
then one might as well choose by tossing a coin.
The exact numbers are not important.

The example you chose illustrates this.
The American presidential election is not decided on a direct vote,
nor in fact are general elections in Ireland or the UK.
Nobody thinks this is "wrong", as far as I know.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366