[Fwd: Re: [E-voting] "Black box" irregularities in the House ofRepresentatives?]

Aengus Lawlor aengusl at eircom.net
Mon Aug 1 14:32:55 IST 2005

On Monday, August 01, 2005 5:33 AM [EDT],
Fergal Daly <fergald at gmail.com> wrote:

> First off, the original story was not an election it was a vote in the
> House of Representatives so running it again would probably have
> produced the same answer (assuming votes are counted correctly)

In the case of the CAFTA vote, that isn't necessarily the case. Normally,
votes in the US Congress are held open for 15 minutes to allow
representatives to cast their vote. In the case of CAFTA, there wasn't a
majority in favour after 15 minutes, so the vote was held open for just over
an hour. As soon as a majority of the votes cast were in favour (some
representatives changed their votes, under pressure from the House leaders),
the vote was closed (63 minutes after it opened).

But this really isn't a valid topic for this list. "Parliamentary" votes
aren't secret ballots, and there are votes are posted on a board as they
happen. Other people were aware that Rep Taylor hadn't voted while the vote
was still open. We really don't have anything useful to learn about
"election" type voting from this particular controversy.

Aengus