[E-voting] a theoretical point of view about e-vote

vote at electronic-vote.org vote at electronic-vote.org
Tue Aug 23 10:20:50 IST 2005

Hello,
I would like to have your opinion about the following statements I placed on
my website. If there is something wrong, please let me know so that I can
correct it.

Thank you very much from Italy,
Emanuele Lombardi
http://www.electronic-vote.org
http://www.electronic-voting.org

Paper elections held under proper public monitoring have always guaranteed
fair and square elections. This has been possible because humans can verify
operations dealing with ballot papers which are visible and tangible
objects.

On the contrary humans are not equipped for verifying operations which occur
in the microscopic scale within nanosecond timeframes. Thus, for people who
didn’t program them, computers act just like black boxes and
their operations can truly be verified only by knowing the input and
comparing the expected output with the actual output
(see http://www.acm.org/classics/sep95).

Unfortunatly, because of vote secrecy, elections have no known input nor any
expected output with which to compare electoral results. Hence
electronic electoral result cannot be verified by humans and the people need
to have an absolute faith in the accuracy, honesty and security of the whole
electoral apparatus (people, software, hardware and networks).

Requiring reliance on such faith is clearly not compatible with Democracy.