[E-voting] Legal/Constitutional Opinions on eVoting (was: Electronic Voting in the Dáil Yesterday)

Keith Martin keith at keith.gs
Thu Dec 1 12:12:35 GMT 2005

I've just had the following question submitted:

************************
To ask the Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government, Mr
Roche:

Has a legal opinion been sought in relation to the conduct of elections or
referendums where an electronic voting system is used; where such opinion might
be viewed; and if he will make a statement on the matter?

Ruairi Quinn TD (Labour Party)
For written reply
Submitted 1st December 2005

The wording might seem a bit wierd, but there's a particular way to ask
parliamentary questions in order to get answers!
I unfortunately missed this morning's deadline, but it'll get answered on
Tuesday 13th December.

I'm also told that in one of Labour's submissions to the CEV, it was argued that
eVoting was unconstitutional.  It wasn't in the main "Labour Party" one, but was
in one of the ones submitted by Labour Party representatives or members - I just
can't remember which!

KEITH