[E-voting] Summary of Electronic Voting System Analysis

Marian Beddill beddill at nas.com
Tue Dec 6 01:06:22 GMT 2005

At 12/5/2005  03:56 PM, you wrote:

>Undervote/overvote are more difficult to ascertain here because we have
>different classes of voters - ie. in 2004 Irish people could vote in the
>Referendum, EU citizens in the Euro-election and everyone could vote in
>the local elections. As far as I know, there is only a single class of
>voter in the US. There were reports at the time of people voting only in
>the referendum and not bothering about the elections.
>
>Ciaran

Right.  In the US, there is only a single class of voter.  Either you are -
or you're not.

But in individual elections, voters in different locations (jurisdictions)
have different "questions" on which they are allowed to vote. ("questions"
is a term which includes issues and races.)

A resident within a City may vote on City issues, for example, while one
outside the city limits cannot. And there are a plethora of Districts, at
multiple levels of government.

"Overvotes" are not allowed.  (Voting for both candidates, or both YES and
NO on an issue.)  Exception, the IRV system is beginning to be allowed.
"Undervotes" are OK.  And the data is reported for each individual
"question" on a ballot.  Indeed, we have people who only mark votes for the
national races and ignore all the rest.

Marian Beddill
Washington State