Re: [E-voting] Legal/Constitutional Opinions on eVoting (was: Electronic Voting in the Dáil Yesterday)

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Tue Dec 6 10:27:47 GMT 2005

Ciaran Quinn wrote:

> Apart from the question of whether elections using the Nedap Powervote
> system are unconstitutional, there is the question of why the Dept. of
> the Environment released ballot files of all votes in 2002 but had
> decided not to do this for the 2004 elections. Did they get legal
> advice that caused them to change their minds about what to release?
>
> The issue of releasing full ballot files was first raised by Joe Otten
> in the June 2003 issue of Voting Matters, an Electoral Reform Society
> publication about STV. (See http://www.mcdougall.org.uk/VM/MAIN.HTM ).
> Joe Otten had been involved in testing the system for the Dept. of the
> Environment which suggests that the Dept may have been aware of the
> problem but decided to ignore it.

Personally, I think there is a reasonable solution to this particular
problem (the identification of votes in the published files).
I didn't know they were planning not to release the data in 2004. To my
mind, that shows they were planning to make
a bad system, much much *worse*. At least releasing the data files would
allow people to validate the counting
software independently.

Michael