Re: [E-voting] Re: Legal/Constitutional Opinions on eVoting (was: Electronic Voting in the Dáil Yesterday)

Ciaran Quinn election at polarbears.com
Wed Dec 7 22:50:55 GMT 2005

Keith Martin wrote:

>Unfortunately the Ceann Comhairle has disallowed the question.  He says
>Ministers aren't responsible for legal advice sought or given and therefore
>can't be asked questions about it (including whether they sought or were given
>legal advice, apparently).
>
>I'm looking at some other ways of asking the same question.

Some possible questions:-

Can the Minister list the amounts paid to legal firms or consultancies
or for legal services in the period 2002 to 2005? [ I'm not sure what
periods to specify here]

Can the Minister list those employees of the Dept. of the Environment
who worked on the Electronic Voting system in any capacity (excluding
those directly employed by the Franchise section) ?

In view of recent attempts by a Government minister to involve civil
servants in party affairs, does the Minister accept that the voting
process must be subject to monitoring by opposition parties and groups?

Can the Minister explain why the Dept. of the Environment released full
ballot files after the 2002 election but had decided not to release full
ballot files had electronic voting been used in the elections in 2004
and will the Minister make a statement on the ability of voters to
incorporate a digital signature into their vote when electronic voting
is used with PR-STV?

Does the Minister accept that the monitoring of the Nedap/Powervote
system is similar to the monitoring of the CIA planes landing in
Shannon, in that neither the ordinary Irish citizen nor the opposition
parties can tell what is happening inside the machines or planes?

Does the Minister accept that the decision to restore an annual military
parade in Dublin is negated by the involvement of a British defence
company, Qinetiq, in the testing of the electronic voting system, and
can the Minister provide an assurance that if the British defence
company Qinetiq, discover a method of manipulating the system to the
detriment of a specific party (for example, Sinn Féin), that such
information will be given to the Dept. of the Environment and not to the
British Intelligence services?

Ciaran