[E-voting] Stormontgate/Qinetiq/Shell

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Sat Dec 17 20:11:16 GMT 2005

On Sat, Dec 17, 2005 at 04:12:40PM +0000, Ciaran Quinn wrote:
> - the British govt. are interested in preventing Sinn Féin doing well in
> elections here

As are the Irish Government, and Fianna Fail; the sole party left that
support the e-voting system, and the sole party with any say over its
use. That the British Government share that interest really only adds to
the firghteningly undemocratic and partisan nature of this problem.

Incidetnally the Goverment had no say in the awarding of the contract to
Qinetiq, that was the commission.

> If there is genuinely a prospect of the system being used, he would have
> to exclude Qinetiq. If the testing is only a charade, he will not want
> to waste more money on it. Maybe this is a way of finding out which is
> the case?

All activities of the commission are pointless wastes of money. The
system has been shown to be unusable in any form. It's all a charade.
Personally I'm concentrating on collating the facts, including the facts
surrounding the contract signing *after* it being shown to be a waste of
money, and rendering them as clearly available as possible, in the vain
hope that might become an election issue.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net