[E-voting] grid of software, hardware, language and suppliers

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Sat Dec 17 21:25:38 GMT 2005

On another topic--

For some time now I've been trying unsuccessfully to put together a
simple grid of the Irish e-voting system showing the different
components, which company or companies is responsible for supplying each
component, programming language and which parts have (or haven't) been
tested and by whom and when.

BBV has asked for this info, and several people from other countries
have asked for it, too. (Relations between suppliers, components etc. is
murky at best which makes it hard for people trying to figure out who is
supplying what, and what are the system similarities and differences.)

Sounds simple--but it's not. Even after doing searches on all the old
posts and looking through Joe McCarthy's submission I am coming up with
more gaps than information. Yet I remember lots of past postings about
some of this (e.g. there was discussion about some of the components
using very outdated chips? processors? but I can't remember details; and
there were conversations about what OS or software were used and I think
I remember someone mentioning Windows CE but I'm not sure).

For example, here's the initial list I've put together of all the
components I could think of--some may refer to the same device.
If we could agree on a fairly complete list of known hardware & software
for EVERY component, then we could also identify the supplier of each,
and the programming language. And last but not least, we could add in
the comments about what was tested when and by whom (and perhaps
comments on known weaknesses that many folks here have commented on in
their CEV submissions). This could make a great grid to put up on the
ICTE website.

In fact I even had a hard time making a table. (It wasn't always clear
what hardware went with what software, and I don't know where to put
firmware, OS or pre-compiled code.) I couldn't match up suppliers with
equipment. I wasn't clear on which components were off-the-shelf and
which were "special" for the Irish system. Let me start with just this
one column. If you folks advise me on changes I can make them and
re-post here until we have something that is reasonably complete and
accurate.

Should I separate the Hardware from the Software and make this 2
separate columns?

*Hardware, Software*

Software for DREs

Software for ERS (count computer)

Voting Machine ESI 1 (used in June & Nov 2002 pilot trials—real elections)

Voting Machine ESI2

Processor?

Networking devices?

Memory Cards?