[E-voting] Meeting with the PDs

Dr. Coilín Oscar ÓhAiseadha aatchoo.2005 at besked.com
Tue Jul 5 18:35:22 IST 2005

If I understand the request correctly, you're looking for suggestions for people whom the PD's might ask about problems with e-voting in the US?

How about the following?
4. Congresswoman Corrine Brown (FL-Dem) (details below)
5. Dr. Herbert Thompson (details below)
6. Congressman John Conyers
(who BTW this month is meeting with the Swiss woman who headed the OSCE observers at last November's fiasco)
7. Harry Hursti (who wrote BBV's recent report on optical scan systems, excerpt posted by Catherine)
8. Richard Hayes Phillips, Ph.D. (details below)

Re Brown and Conyers, my thinking is that it might make a more profound impression on them to talk to a couple of their American colleagues who can tell them what it's like to have their political careers at stake on dodgy e-voting systems.

BTW, I wouldn't mind an invite to the meeting myself. I might be able to say something useful about the American exit polls and such, if relevant, or just observe quietly.

Best regards,
Coilín.

*****

5-27-05: Optical scan system hacked (3 ways)

In another test, Congresswoman Corrine Brown (FL-Dem) was shocked to see the impact of a trojan implanted by Dr. Herbert Thompson. She asked if the program could be manipulated in such a way as to flip every fifth vote.

"No problem," Dr. Thompson replied.

"It IS a problem. It´s a PROBLEM!" exclaimed Brown, whose district includes the troubled Volusia County, along with Duval County -- both currently using the Diebold opti-scan system.

This system is also used in Congressman John Conyers´ home district, in contentious King County, Washington, and in Lucas County, Ohio (where six election officials resigned or were suspended after many irregularities were found.)

http://www.bbvforums.org/cgi-bin/forums/board-auth.cgi?file=/1954/5921.html
OR
http://tinyurl.com/buprr

*****

Direct testimony: Presented to Election Assessment Hearing
by Richard Hayes Phillips, Ph.D.
July 4, 2005

Direct testimony: Presented to Election Assessment Hearing, Houston, Texas, June 29, 2005

I have investigated the Ohio election results, precinct by precinct, and have found three categories of problems: voter suppression, ballots cast but not counted, and alteration of the vote count.

In Miami County, after 100% of the precincts had reported, more than 18,000 votes were added to the totals. The vote percentages for Bush and Kerry remained the same, and the final margin for Bush was 16,000 votes exactly, almost as if the tabulators were programmed to turn out that way. This resulted in voter turnout as high as 98.55% in one precinct, where a door-to-door canvass of voters identified more than enough non-voters to prove that the certified results are fraudulent."

In Mahoning County, the Board of Elections reported that 20 to 30 touch screen machines had to be recalibrated because votes were being counted for the wrong candidates. Voters had to scroll through as many as five times before their choice for president was registered.

These accounts of voter suppression, ballots cast but not counted, and alteration of the vote count, were sufficient to reverse the outcome of the presidential election. It is my professional opinion, having exhaustively examined the available evidence, that the 2004 presidential election was stolen.

1240 Bryden Road Columbus, Ohio 43209 Ph/Fx 614.253.2571 Email truth at freepress.org

http://www.freepress.org/departments/display/19/2005/1353

*****

.