[E-voting] terrorism and electronic elections

vote at electronic-vote.org vote at electronic-vote.org
Sun Jul 10 16:41:06 IST 2005

Nowadays we face TERRORISM as one of the most dangerous attack to our
Democracies. Since in Democracy the political power is given to politicians
by means of elections, a good goal for terrorists could be the alteration of
electoral processes. If they could delegitimate the ruling power, they would
have a great victory against democracies!
Ballot paper elections are very robust and have no single point of failure:
there is NOT a single place which abnormal functioning could lead to the
impossibility to declare a winner. Paper elections can be held despite of
black outs and interruptions of computer networks. Infact paper elections
have properly worked also when electricity and computer did not even exist!
On the contrary, electronic elections are based on computer networks and
computer centers which are very good terroristic targets. A terroristic
attack to the network infrastucture, to power distribution lines, or to a
computer center could lead to the impossibility to declare a winner of the
election. It would deny governments any democratic legitimation, seriously
harming any Democracy
Thus the existance of terrorism is a very good reason to elect our
governments using ballot papers and NOT to use electronic vote!

This is an excertp from the site
               http://www.electronic-vote.org
               http://www.electronic-voting.org

Emanuele Lombardi