[E-voting] terrorism and electronic elections

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Jul 11 01:07:57 IST 2005

On Mon 11 Jul 2005 00:44, David GLAUDE wrote:

> Please imaging that Cuba want to organise presidential election to
> celebrate the end of EU sanction and to demonstrate the US that after
> all if Castro is in power it is by popular request.
>
> In order to demonstrate Cuba's technological advance and to get closer
> to what US is doing (because Guantanamo is not what they want to
> follow), they will use eVoting.
>
> The election result would be as usual a strong message that Fidel is
> effectively a democratic leader of his country.

I don't understand your argument.
Your point seems to be that Castro would cheat.
If he wanted to do that he could presumably do it
whatever method of voting was chosen.

As a matter of interest,
is there any suggestion that Castro has cheated in elections?
As far as I know, opposition parties are not allowed
to organise in Cuba, so the question of cheating hardly arises.

My point was really a different one,
simply to point out that there are arguments in favour of electronic voting,
and arguments against.
One has to weigh them in any given situation.

In my view, the arguments for VVAT
in the kind of e-voting envisaged in Ireland is very strong.
That doesn't mean that electronic voting per se is bad.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366