Vote in Spain. Was: Re: [E-voting] terrorism and electronic elections

Brian O'Byrne bobyrne at statesoft.ie
Mon Jul 11 15:25:09 IST 2005

On Monday 11 July 2005 15:23, David O'Callaghan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 11/07/05 15:09, Brian O'Byrne wrote:
> > PS: Consider: if the goal of the TERRORIST is to change a
> > nation's policy they can do that without attacking the voting
> > system. Witness the elections in Spain, with a vote just two days
> > after a terrorist attack. It is very likely that the attack
> > changed the result of the vote, even though the voting system was
> > not attacked.
>
> I know this is heading off topic, but I'm not sure why you think it
> is "very likely" that the Madrid attack changed the result of the
> election. It was clear long before the attack that the people of
> Spain were not happy with their government, in particular because
> of the government's support of the US/UK invasion of Iraq.
>
> David

David,

I'm open to correction on this, but my understanding was that the
opinion polls in the week prior to the May 11th attack showed a small
but growing majority for the incumbent government. That trend was
completely reversed after the bombs in Madrid.

I know it is a dangerous leap to suggest that because the change
followed the bombings the bombings caused the change, but I am
willing to live dangerously.

As I say, I am open to correction. My information is entirely from my
memory of news reports at the time. My memory and / or the news
reports could be wrong.

Brian.
--
Brian O'Byrne, Statesoft Ltd.