post-voting phase is not citizen controlled was [E-voting] terrorism and electronic elections

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Mon Jul 11 18:34:31 IST 2005

Pierre,

In Ireland there is close public observation of the post-voting phase.
Perhaps except for when the ballot boxes are moved from the polling
place to the count centre--and that is done via Garda (police) escort,
at least in theory.  (I personally know of one exception where a ballot
box was given to a private courier van, with no Garda escort.  It is
likely that other unauthorised exceptions may occur.)

The opening of the sealed boxes and all phases of counting are the
subject of close scrutiny by the public. You should come over to observe
our counting sometime.

Catherine