[E-voting] Re: terrorism and electronic elections

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Jul 11 20:43:23 IST 2005

On Mon 11 Jul 2005 14:40, vote at electronic-vote.org wrote:

> Of course the danger of e-vote is much grater in countries new to
> democracy, in countries were democracy is not yet complete, and in
> countries held by dictators (would have anybody trusted the results of
> electronic elections held in Saddam's Iraq?).

Probably about as much as they trusted the results of the elections he held
presumably without the benefit of electronic voting.

Nb: I am not recommending electronic voting -
I am simply pointing out that it is not intrinsically evil -
its merits in any particular case have to be weighed against its demerits.

Incidentally, I thought the aim of the ICTE
was to make electronic voting safe, not to reject it out of hand.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366