[E-voting] Re: terrorism and electronic elections

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Mon Jul 11 23:10:04 IST 2005

Our description on the Wikipedia says,

*Irish Citizens for Trustworthy E-Voting (ICTE)* is a broad-based
interest group campaigning for safe, secure and auditable electronic
voting.

In particular, ICTE believe that it is extremely difficult for an
electronic voting system to be trustworthy unless it includes a
paper-based voter-verifiable audit trail (VVAT
<http://wiki.politics.ie/index.php?title=VVAT&action=edit>).
http://wiki.politics.ie/index.php?title=Irish_Citizens_for_Trustworthy_E-Voting

The more I know, the more concerns I have about including
electronics--though it could have a role in /marking/ ballot papers as
long as this doesn't lead inappropriately to also counting the ballots.
If it can be safe, secure and auditable then fine.  So far I haven't
seen anything that meets these criteria, though I don't rule out that
something will be found in the future.

I don't see ICTE as having to promote or find solutions, rather to be a
watchdog to ensure any solution is safe, secure and auditable.  (And
we're glad to share any great ideas we may come up with).

We know a lot more about electronic voting now than we did 2 years ago.
Personally I know much more about the vulnerabilities--and my concerns
are based on an increasing number of proven (and indeed exploited)
vulnerabilities.  I feel less inclined to only look for "the most likely
political solution."  I also see the /danger /of thinking VVAT is an
answer.  VVAT /plus/ mandatory hand count of all ballots would be close
to acceptable, if I felt sure that the hand count wouldn't eventually be
dispensed with.  (If you've got a mandatory hand count, why bother with
the electronics at all?  Just a huge unnecessary ongoing expenditure
that has no true intrinsic benefits and risks losing everything.)

Catherine