Parper recount is not easy. Re: [E-voting] Re: terrorism and electronic elections

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Wed Jul 13 10:06:31 IST 2005

Maybe you & some colleagues should come to Ireland and observe a count!
Or, go to Canada where their paper counts sound fantastic. It's
unbelievable they find this such a challenge in Belgium.

Here, counting is done in teams of 2, observed by teams from all
political parties and members of the public.  Votes are first counted
into bundles of 100 and initialled.  Then the 2 in the pair exchange
bundles and recount and initial.  So nothing gets past that stage
without being counted & verified (like a count & recount in the first
step).  After that the bundles are put in different piles according to
the indicated first preference (and questionable votes set aside).
Again, each time they are counted one person counts & initials, then the
other person counts & initials.

Others, please correct or add to what I've described here.  Am I leaving
out anything important?