[E-voting] Re: terrorism and electronic elections

Craig Burton caburt at alphalink.com.au
Thu Jul 14 05:40:19 IST 2005

Anonymity and secrecy were not introduced at the same time in Australia
either.  For many years after 1856, the secret ballot still carried a
serial number as organisers were worried about fraud.  I'm not sure when
it was changed, but I believe it was the late nineteenth century.
The UK implemented the secret ballot but have not introduced anonymity.
As far as I know the UK is the only place in the world where this is the
case.
Since Hoon is calling for compulsory voting at the moment it seems
anything is possible.  It seems reasonable to now introduce anonymity.
Best,
Craig.