[E-voting] UK govt circular mentions open-source e-voting

cansbro at eircom.net cansbro at eircom.net
Thu Jul 21 08:42:14 IST 2005

Hi Craig,

I don't have any objections to the argument that open-source is a safer way
to develop code.  That's not my point.

My point is that there is no way to safeguard the implementation of
code--any code in our current election systems.

Take the proposed Irish system.  It's now been sitting in various storage
locations.  There is no way someone could prove to my satisfaction that no
unauthorized person had access to these machines before or since they were
put in storage.  So-called security seals have already been shown to be
ineffective (e.g., broken seals were just ignored and machines were used
anyways).

Let's say you ran a checksum.  Well, machines in the US have shown that
they can be hacked without showing a problem in the checksums.

Or, the Irish machines could be accessed by modems on the day.  All the
previous open-source checking would then be meaningless.

Or, someone could gain access to the central vote counting computer.  Maybe
they could do this right after a security check had been done. Or, they
could bribe whoever was doing the checking so they'd use a programme that
wouldn't reveal the changes.

There are almost countless points of vulnerability--and open source
provides no security or answer to these problems.

Some of the problems could only be revealed by a forensic examination of
hardware or memory cards.  Do you really think any jurisdiction is going to
do a forensic examination of all hardware and software for every election?
Points have recently been raised at BBV (where horrendous memory card
exploits have been demonstrated) that show that it's not even enough to do
a forensic examination of memory cards after an election, but one would
also have to do the same to some unused memory cards because there are ways
of tampering that can disappear after use.

I am a BIG FAN of open source.  And I do not see it as a "solution" to the
many points of vulnerability in election systems.

If someone were forcing electronic voting down my throat (ugh) would I
prefer open source to proprietary code?  Yes.  But either way would still
make me gag.  Neither option provides any guarantee that votes will be
counted accurately and reliably free from serious risk of hacking.

Catherine