[E-voting] UK govt circular mentions open-source e-voting

Craig Burton caburt at alphalink.com.au
Thu Jul 21 09:28:05 IST 2005

Catherine,

Your post does introduce the myriad weak points in the current system.
I can't defend them!
You should know I work for an evoting company, but it is pursuing remote
e-voting to augment postal voting.  Presently, this does not take place
in the public sector and all pilots I am aware of (except Estonia and
Spain) have been halted.

I'm pretty sure that one or some of Diebold et al are likely to get
their systems through in the end, its a matter of what they can be
forced to change.
I would advocate DRE's carrying no software at all, no hard drive, no
memory, only the touch screen, power source, audio hardware etc.
The core functionality would be provided in some other way, such as on a
smart card or better tamper-proof device which can be more easily
protected and managed.  Each could be a throw-away device configured
("burnt") for that election and poll place.

I agree the vote transport needs to be different. It has to at least be
a WORM medium of some sort.
You should not be able to dial into a DRE if there is anything important
that can be interrupted, observed or changed by doing so.
The tallying machines and staff bribery.   Out of scope for me!

Your point about checksums - can I ask for a link?  I wonder if some
other code signature would work or whether the hack in question gets
around code checking altogether.  I suspect the latter; below I suggest
that any kind of  integrity check has to be performed on the DRE from
some trusted external service - a dongle, a networked service or
something else its a self-check.
Even then, I'm yet to understand how an adequately hacked current DRE
machine could not report "alls well" to an external source.

Best,
Craig.